Fall is Here!
Here are some tips to do now to help save you money later!
To-Do #1: Replace HVAC Filters
- The air filter on your system needs to be replaced every 1-3 months (to keep the air in your home clean & flowing freely through the unit).
- Use a high quality air filter—rated to remove mold, pollen & other microscopic particles.
To-Do #2: Check Toilets for Leaks
- Adjust Water Level in Tank: If your toilet runs when it hasn’t been flushed, remove the lid & check the water level inside the tank. If it’s set too high, the water will spill into the overflow tube & cause the intake valve to keep running.
- Check Flapper: Put a few drops of food coloring in the water in your toilet tank, & allow it to remain without flushing for a time. If the water in the toilet bowl changes color without being flushed, the rubber flapper valve at the bottom of the tank needs to be replaced.
- Check Flushing Mechanism
- Check for any Toilet Floor Leaks
- Check for any Toilet Tank to Bowl Leak
To-Do #3: Caulk Cracks and Gaps in Siding
- Small Cracks: Fill cracks smaller than 1/4” w/ a bead of exterior grade paintable caulk.
- Larger Cracks and Gaps: Before caulking, fill cracks wider than 1/4” by pushing foam backer rod into the hole until it’s just below the surface. Then, cover the backer rod w/ caulk & smooth the surface.
- Holes and Large Gaps: Fill large holes & gaps w/ expandable spray foam in a can. Carefully spray the foam into the space, allowing plenty of room for it to expand. After the foam has hardened, trim it flush & paint or stain it to match.
To-Do #4: Check Weather Stripping & Thresholds
- Replacing damaged weather striping and thresholds can make a big difference in your home’s energy efficiency.
To-Do #5: Install or Close Storm Windows
To-Do #6: Clean Gutters and Downspouts
To-Do #7: Winterize Gas Powered Lawn Equipment